Thursday, August 2, 2012

End of Term Closing Ceremony

Today I went with Uncle Joseph to see the kids' closing ceremony at school.  They have 3 terms of 3 months each and 1 month breaks in between.  So on the last day of the term they have an assembly.  If you have spent much time around elementary schools in the states, this is likely nothing like the ones you have been to!




The adults gave some LONG speeches (in Swahili of course!) and then they handed out awards for each grade.  I was pleasantly amazed when 9 of Haven of Hope's kids received an award!!

Lucy

Shaquil

Harrison

Frenzer

Mary

Peter

Mohammed

Beatrice


Mercy



How amazing is that?!

Then the kids were dismissed and the adults gave some more LONG speeches.  I was zoning out, because I didn't understand a word, when the guy talking calls me up front to ask me how we do it in America.  Asks me how old kids are when we make them start working for themselves, and if our parents allow them to live in their house and eat their food when they are 20, 21 years old.  So funny!

Then after, I took a tour of their classrooms.

only 4 desks in this one!




What a great thing.  And I so loved seeing that these kids are thriving even though they don't get to go to school as consistently as other children.  God has great plans for these precious ones of His!





1 comment:

  1. Harrison stole my heart! What a cutie pie! And love that name :) So cool!

    ReplyDelete